BBQ Guru Recipes
Cornbread Tamale Masa Recipe by Shotgun Fred
Cornbread Tamale Masa
1 cup Crisco
2 tbsp. salt
2 tbsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. baking soda
½ cup sugar
Whip ingredients in a mixer.
Add and fold in:
1 tbsp. Chipotle chili powder
1 tbsp. vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup hot sauce
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups yellow corn meal
2 cups corn masa
2 cups wheat flour
Mix all ingredients well.
How To Roll A Tamale: Keep a good supply of corn shucks on hand. If you cannot find corn shucks, use parchment paper.
- Soak the corn shucks in warm or hot water while you are preparing your masa.
- Take a few of the shucks and rip from top to bottom into ½ in. strands. (use these for ties)
- Spread the masa on the shuck or square of parchment paper.
- Trim the masa to a square shape and fill with BBQ.
- Roll so that the ends of the masa overlap.
- Pull back the shuck or paper and fold the ends.
- Shape the tamales by slightly pinching at the bottom and running your fingers up to form a semi-flat tamale.
- We recommend a diameter of 1 ½” and a length of 4”.
- Use prepared corn shuck ties to hold tamales together.
- Steam the tamales upright in a steamer or steaming basket for 1 ½ -2 hours.
Hint: Loosely form an aluminum foil cover over your tamales in the steamer. This will keep the tamales in an upright position if there is space in your steamer. Remember they will swell as they cook.
back to Recipes